Sixty Years of Academic Excellence and Service
In February of 1959, Sister Gertrude Matthews was assigned by the Daughters of Charity to supervise the construction of Elizabeth Seton High School, which was presently being undertaken by The Fuller Construction Company.
Several years prior to this, Cardinal O'Boyle, then Archbishop of Washington, D.C., had begged the Daughters of Charity to build, own, and operate the school on a site that the Archdiocese had secured in Bladensburg, Maryland.
Following in the footsteps of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton and her mission to educate young women, Elizabeth Seton High School, opened its doors in 1959 with 138 freshmen and a faculty of six Daughters of Charity. Because of the school’s close ties with Elizabeth Ann Seton and her advocacy for quality education, particularly for women, Elizabeth Seton High School embodied an expanding course of study that continues to advance and improve, and focuses on the educational needs of girls. As an all-girls school, Seton provided and environment where female students could express themselves freely, develop higher cognitive skills, increase self-confidence and broaden their interests.