Elizabeth Seton High School
♪ Choral Music Program ♪
SCHOLARSHIP AUDITIONS FOR VOCALISTS
Auditions for Vocal scholarships will be held on Saturday, January 25th from 8 am to 3 pm. Auditions are by appointment only. Please call Mrs. Jeanne Daly at (301) 864-4532, ext. 7120 to make an appointment.
The purpose of the audition is to encourage participation in the choral program by giving the Choral Music Program Director, Dr. Kathleen Vadala, the opportunity to meet with prospective students, and to identify students with the skills to merit scholarship funds.
Scholarship Audition Requirements:
- Sing the first verse of “The Star-Spangled Banner” memorized and without piano accompaniment in a key that is comfortable for your voice.
- A prepared solo or piece of music of your own choice to perform (experienced accompanist on hand)
- Students will also be asked to go through simple warm-up exercises and fill out both a questionnaire about their music background thus far and complete a very brief worksheet that asks them to identify basic music terms and symbols.
Additional Audition Details:
- “Star Spangled Banner”
- A comfortable key and range will be chosen for the individual student’s voice so that it is not “too high” or “too low.”
- The type of choral singing we do at Seton encourages the development of a natural, unforced voice. Therefore, the music that the student chooses to sing at the audition should lean in this direction. Please DO NOT sing pop music in a style that relies on a heavy, “belted” sound.
- Appropriate types of songs:
- Musical theatre pieces like “In My Own Little Corner” from Cinderella, “Feed the Birds” from Mary Poppins and “Over the Rainbow” from The Wizard of Oz.
- Sacred pieces/church songs like “Panis Angelicus,” “Amazing Grace” and “His Eye is on the Sparrow” (straight, not souped-up like in Sister Act 2)
- If the student is currently taking voice lessons, teacher suggestions will undoubtedly be appropriate. School music teachers should also be able to provide help selecting music.
- Solo Piece Selection
If you have any questions about the audition process, or about the Elizabeth Seton High School Choral Music Program, please contact me via email. We look forward to meeting you!
Dr. Kathleen Vadala, Choral Music Director