LEAD Learning Engineering and Design
Open the slideshow below to see LEAD in action!
Elizabeth Seton High School’s STEM Program
Elizabeth Seton High School is leading the way in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) instruction. This program has adopted the curriculum model, Engineering by Design, developed by The International Technology and Engineering Educators Association’s STEM Center for Teaching and Learning. This is a standards-based national model built upon Standards for Technological Literacy (ITEEA), Principles and Standards for School Mathematics (NCTM), and Project 2061, Benchmarks for Science Literacy (AAAS).
LEAD integrates these standards of learning for science, math, and technology with the principles of engineering and design. It allows students to align knowledge, skills, capabilities, and critical thinking skills into problem solving learning. Students are taught a defined sequence of skills while gaining an understanding of the principles and systems of engineering and design. They engage in hands-on exploration, which includes building, creating, designing, and testing so that they can apply the skills they have learned to solve problems in the world around them.
- Promotes increased achievement in science, technology, engineering, and math in a problem solving environment
- Teaches strategies that allow students to build their own understanding of engineering design, the process that transforms ideas into manufactured products that impact the environment, society, and our global developments
- Teaches students to work together in teams and encourages them to share ideas, assist one another in projects, and design solutions together in an environment where constructive feedback, project management, and participatory learning are valued
- Prepares students for a wide variety of career paths
- Affords opportunities for extracurricular activities including state level competitions and service possibilities
- Offers summer internship opportunities with a variety of local companies
Curriculum Structure of LEAD
LEAD has the unique advantage of providing both an introductory level of engineering and design and a full four year successive course structure for those who wish to deepen their understanding and experience. The following curriculum design outlines the possible progression of the course of study:
Year 1: Foundations of Engineering
Year 2: Robotics Engineering
Year 3: Advanced Design Application
Year 4: Engineering Design (The Capstone Project)
*Each course is two semesters
How to Apply
Incoming Student Application
- 8th graders can apply for the LEAD program by accessing the general application online here.
Current Student Application Materials